Thursday 27 December 2012

Review of 'Hemlock and the Wizard Tower' and the sequel.

Hi all. I hope you all had a Merry Xmas filled with lots of joy, happiness, and of course presents!!

Another two books I have had the pleasure of reading lately are 'Hemlock and the Wizard Tower' and the sequel, 'Hemlock and the Dead God's Legacy' by fellow Indie author Bill Throwsnail. It was amazing to see the improvements Bill made to both the story and his writing during the course of these 2 books. For their price, both Books are well worth the read, and hopefully, like myself, you won't be disappointed.

 
Hemlock and the Wizard Tower
 
 
Well written and entertaining. There are a few grammar and punctuation errors which detract from the story, as well an an irritating overuse of the word 'that'. Should the author do an edit to fix these issues, the tale would flow much better instead of bogging down constantly. There is a bit too much telling rather than showing, but on the whole a good effort. I found myself having trouble liking the characters, but then again I have never been partial to female leads - that's just me.
I will keep an eye out for future installments, hoping the author works on his craft.
 
 
Hemlock and the Dead God's Legacy
 
 
Given 5 star because it is a major improvement in writing quality than Book 1. That is not to say that Book 1 isn't well written, but book 2 flows so much better, and shows an attention to detail that is a testimony to the skill of its author. Many passages were so vivid that they left this reader in awe and feeling inadequate as a writer. My only quibbles with Hemlock and the Dead God's Legacy are that a) it was too short, and b) a few times I felt as if too much exposition was taking place, and not enough showing i.e, ACTION :) . I only noticed a couple of minor formatting or grammatical errors, but definitely not too many to detract from the story.
Good stuff Brian!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this, Robert. I just discovered this post and greatly appreciate it! I hope Throne of Blood is coming along well. I noticed you posted the first chapter. I'll be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete